20110831

Hotter n Hell BBQ Ride

The Austin Bike Chix wanted to do a long ride together, Kellie suggested going to Zedler's Mill in Luling.
5:30 AM, hours before the sun rises we met to drive to Luling. Once in Lockhart, we dropped off Georgian & Leigh's car, met up w/ Kellie & Theresa and continued to Luling.




A very friendly cop kept us from taking a nature pee, but he did take a group picture and let us know we could call 911 if we needed help. I'm sure he drove back by to see if we made it back.



So, we rode into Luling to answer nature's call then left for Fentress. Nice wide shoulder on the road, fairly smooth roads, too (I can't ever complain cuz they were pavement!)
Quick stop in Fentress, then off via backroads to Martindale. As soon as we turned onto the backroad, there was a sign that read "Pavement Ends" "Oh no" I thought, "not again!" but thankfully it was a sign they had not taken down for when they just paved (chipsealed) the road. Great country road. G & L hasd a flat, so for a moment I just stood there and listed to the silence, no I didn't break into S & G's "Sound of Silence"

Several cute small towns on the road.




Made it to Martindale for another stop. Somewhere before Martindale i hit 1100 miles, at the time I thought it was 1200, but apparently, I can't add (shhh, don't tell anyone I taught math! and i will use the excuse that the heat got to my brain and messed w my addtion capabilities!)



Martindale to Lockhart was awesome, one little climb, then it was downhill the rest of the way! Plus, a nice wide shoulder to ride on.

Lockhart has a really cool Courthouse.


Picked up some items for the back 20 and the finish. Then it was off to finish the ride.



G & L provided a wonderful SAG service for us! Yes they are the best SAG team EVER! (they paid me to write that) However, they truly did provide a wonderful service...ice cold water, gatorade and dog blocking service.




The temp rose to 105 by the time we finished.
My heat rash came back. Apparently this happens to others who wear Pearl Izumi shorts, too...weird.




A quick jump into the river by Zedler's Mill, then to Luling for BBQ! That is Leigh jumping in!



**********************************************
Miles for this ride: 56
Miles for the week: 82
Total miles for the month: over 350
Total miles for 2011: 1138
Miles to go: 362 to hit 1500!
Odometer: 10946 (it rounds and I round the other stats thus the difference)






No comments:

Post a Comment