20110221

The Austin Marathon

The Austin Marathon is always fun to watch, especially in a gorilla suit. I talked MB into going with me. I carried the camera, bananas, wig & cowbells. MB carried the gorilla suit, bike locks and sketchpad and complained about how heavy it was! after picking up the bananas, I felt like we were on the Amazing Race, but we were just headed to the split in the marathon.
Locked the bikes to a street sign, walked across the street & set up shop. MB wrote out her sign & proudly displayed it while ringing her cowbell. I put the gorilla suit on, had a little trouble with the shorts, MB got me all straightened out, put my number on and grabbed a cowbell.
Loved how runners would 'high five' me, want their picture taken w/ the Gorilla! One guy even ran up, put his arm around me & did self portrait!
MB saw Christie run by, then she saw Margaret run by.
Saw Christi & Margaret

Then there was the cowbell incident. The guy sitting on the truck apparently thought that going to a marathon was the way to listen to live music in Austin. He kept telling us to move away and not ring the cowbells so he could hear the band! Dude, this is a marathon, not Antone's, we are cheering on the runners. So, I asked the runners to wave their hands in the air if they liked the cowbells, most of them within earshot did. Eventually we won and he left.

Yung came running up. He stopped and talked with us for a bit. I went to go get his banana since he had commented on FB that he hoped the gorilla would bring him a banana. On my way back to the course, I had 3 bananas w me, one for each of us, a marathoner ran bad and said she'd love to have one, so i gave her one, seconds later she was back saying she didn't mean to take someone's banana, we made her leave with the banana. So, Next year, more bananas!

Miles for this ride: not sure, the odometer is in kilometers and I didn't look, guess I could map my ride it, but then again, I don't think I'll count the urban adventures for the total miles...
Roadkill for this ride: lots of runners..joking
Total miles for the month: 21 (rounding)I need to ride some more...been running...
Total miles for 2011: 82
Miles to go: 1418 to hit 1500!

No comments:

Post a Comment