20110913

69 on Saturday Morning

In my continuing efforts to train for the Mamma Jamma ride, ABCx went to ride the Creedmoor Cruise. I've heard many bike groups riding to Creedmoor, so I was excited to finally get this one under my belt.

As with the all the early morning rides, it started with a fuel stop at Mi Victoria bakery...2 potato & egg tacos on corn tortillas and a donut each...MV really needs to raise their prices as all the above plus a coke was under $6 or maybe they need a gringo price list or a Hispanic discount.

Got to Williams elementary right at 7...had to laugh at KPT for putting on her arm warmers and another lady had on a jacket, but it was kinda cool--68 degrees. I'm going to have to get some cool weather gear since it looks like I will be training a lot this winter! So excited about Pedal Stroke, nervous, too. More on PS later.

As we rode towards Creedmoor, we went past the Texas Disposal's landfile & ranch. I started thinking about the last time I was out here and it was for the NARI party in 2007...then it dawned on me that was the night before I stroked. I kinda freaked out a bit, not anything big but had one of those moments where I questioned the whole stroke thing and that the last time I was on the road, I was 'normal.' Normal to me in terms of stroke means my left arm & hand didn't have to struggle. Then I started thinking what all I've accomplished since I stroked: walk again, run, ride bikes, new job, started ABCx after Luna folded, and the list could go on. So, quit thinking about your little problems typing and go on.

By mile 11 we were on our second potty stop...not a good sign, but at least it wasn't the same person each time.


Uh oh...not another detour! This one wasn't too bad, but still laughing that KPT thought the ground would be muddy! Right, with all .04 inhes of rain since July 1!


Next stop was Lytton Springs, awesome little grocery store w/ a frisky owner. She was giving us a hard time about not having any of the guys w/ us. Every customer who came in commented about us riding. Then when they were talking to the owner, she was always laughing! What a life!

Now on to Lockhart, this was probably our strongest leg of the ride...nice empty road, not too many cracks or hills (ok, one sharp hill near the end) kinda cool to have made it to Lockhart via bike twice this summer!

Near Niederwald, mile 46, Crystal had mechanical issues, a sign of things to come? Water bottle readjusted, chain back on and we were soon off the bumpy road.

The drought has caused the asphalt to crack. Some cracks are tiny and others are given the nick name of the Grand Canyon. One Grand Canyon already caused one cyclist to get bucked off her bike, no serious injuries or issues to the bike.

Then there was the crack a bit bigger than the width of my tire that was in my line and appeared out of nowhere. Somehow I managed to steer the front tire away,I screamed but the back wheel went down, and boom went the tire! I went into the traffic lane, thank goodness no cars, stopped and looked at my wheel. Amazingly the rim wasn't bent, but there was a dime sized hole in my new tire. I remember Brad talking about using a coke can, then KPT mentioned a dollar bill...much easier.




Amazingly it held! for the last 12 miles!

Once in the parking lot, I was at 68.79 miles or close to that, time for laps...had to end at that 69!





***********************************************************
Miles for this ride: 69
Miles for the week: 81
Total miles for the month: 195 (ths one is hard to keep up with)
Total miles for 2011: 1333
Miles to go: 167to hit 1500!
Odometer: 11143

No comments:

Post a Comment