20120904

mile 1800 in a yucky ride

I hit mile 1800 for 2012 on Sunday while riding a yucky ride. Went out east of P-ville, where I know it is always windy, but trying to be optimistic, I figured it wouldn't be too bad...WRONG!

The first 5 miles were awesome! Talking to KPT & cruising at 16-17 mph, then we took a right  turn & were riding perpendicular to the wind. it wasn't too bad, but the next right might as well have been into a brick wall! Kelli & I started taking turns pulling each other at 2 min intervals, we caught up to Mercy, but by that time we lost the lead group. I was actually doing my job of floating & being a lead, it was just with people I knew.
We stopped in Rice's Crossing to make sure we knew where to go next. Found the turn & we received some relief from the wind, but i knew coming back on this road wouldn't be fun.
Despite al the complaining about the wind, the country side was extremely pretty today. Recently plowed fields, fields full of cotton ready to be picked, small ponds with water, last year none of thsat existed, so it was exciting to see no matter how windy!


We rested in Coupland, TX, last time I didn't see the cool sculptures & was soon annoyed I forgot the point & shoot camera & that I went w/ the flow & didn't stop to look. I'll learn, maybe.

On the way back, we came across a big tractor (another photo op...next time, at least it's in my brain). And went full on into the wind down Manda Carlson Road. We stopped at the community of Carlson to give the arms a break.

Jerry & Larry caught up w us & we decided to cut the ride short to 4 miles. Larry then said "I'm good at leading" and my reply was "I'm good at following, especially when its windy!"
We made it to the New Sweden Church Road, which meant a little bit less wind, but still some. At the end a couple of quick turns & we were soon on a road the was somewhat treed so less wind.

At the end, KPT & Victor found us...they did the 48 in the time we did 42, sucks to be old....

I was once again reminded of how riding in that direction sucks....hopefully I'll remember next time & change plans.

I did decide the order of suckage for conditions when riding a bike (1 being the worst 6 being the least). This is based off the condions I have riden in. I'm sure Snow would trump them all.
1. Wind
2. Rain
3. Hills
4. Chip Seal
5. Dirt/gravel
6. heat

Combine any of the above & its really bad, but as KPT & Victor reminded me in Coupland, "It's better than a hospital bed" --barely, yes I was really cranky!

*****************************************************
Total miles for this ride: 42.23
Total miles for the month of September: 53.69
Total miles for 2012: 1833.03
Miles to go: 166.97   miles til 2012
One way commutes in September so far: 0
Total one way commutes: 58 (I've reached my goal)
Odometer
Road: 12947

No comments:

Post a Comment