20120926

s240 part 2 Bastrop to Austin

"Woke up" Sunday morning around 7. I used quotes around woke up because I don't think I slept at all--thermarest had a leak & I was experiencing Christmas morning syndrome. I looked at the clock & decided to sleep in until 8, rolled over then I relalized it wasn't raining & I better get up & get going before the rain sets in. Got up, grabbed clothes & phone charger & went to the restroom to change. Let the phone charge while I packed up (not many people in the camp, so I figured it was safe.) I was on the road before 7:45, stopped at the Ranger station, didn't see anything I 'needed', so now to search  for breakfast tacos. I ended up at Taco Cabana, could have been worse.

Now to travel. I took the lane on 304, cars had no issues with passing me.  I always wave at the drivers who properly pass me, so I was waving lots on this adventure.

Made a right turn on Shilo & I was greeted by a friendly water tower.

Then for the rest of Shilo I had several dogs want to race me to the end of the fence, I let them win & was ready to grab the pepper spray if necessary, but it wasn't necessary thankfully.

Everything was so green! I'm sure if I had made the trip last year, I would have said, "everything is brown!" But it's nice seeing green in Texas at the end of the summer.

On Highway 21, I had a nice wide and smooth shoulder! I was cruising along at 17-18 mph, pretty happy with that.

 
Took a quick break at a gas station and ate a muffin, I should have been patient and waited for the next gas station, the one down the road was more colorful.
Right turn on a farm to market road and I was looking at dark skys.. oh uh.
Of course  I had to stop for a geocache at Eloise Woods a very interesting concept. About 3-4 miles past Eloise Woods, the rain started. I was soon singing "raindrops keep falling on my head" but I didn't get very far, so I changed to "raindrops on roses..." which led to "doe a deer." I eventually pulled into the gas station at Ross, there was another guy waiting out the rain on his bike, but he was dry, I told him he was smarter than I was. Posted in fb "Raindrops keep falling on my head" and within a minute received a text from Diane, it said" Doe a deer" brought a big smile to my face and lots of memories of the annoying song ride.
Back on the bike I passed under 130. It was during this stop that I realized it was really raining. Even w my showers pass jacket on, but since I put it on after I was already soaked it didn't do much good. to 'keep' me dry. Note to self, next time it starts to rain, stop, pull over & put on your jacket.
<<130 pic="pic">>
Then the mental questioning starts...do I call for a rescue, why would I do that? am I just wanting to be rescued or are you giving up? Or what? I put off the decision a couple more miles.
Then I stopped to watch the planes land. I think at that point I called Marilyn. She might as well put the bike rack to use that I gave her. I told her I would meet at Burleson & Ben White. Back on the bike, I saw a group of guys ride past on Burleson.
oh no! it's going straight for my head!
 
 
Right on Burleson, I was soon passed by 2 girls on road bikes, they were impressed,  I think there comment was "You go girl." I also noticed how deep the water was  and  Iwas glad I had called Marilyn, any minute now a truck was sure to drive by and send a wall of water my direction, thankfully that never happened.
 
I realized I gave Marilyn the wrong intersection, tried to text her the correct location, but the phone had water between the screen and protector screen, not even the auto correct would work.  After a weird conversation, I think she understood where  I was going.
 
I was soon at the Jack in the Crack at Montropolis & Ben White & I was able to get a correct text off to Marilyn.
So I waited. At least I was smart enough to take all my gear off & set it under the eve where it was dry. Then I remembered I had dry shoes with me! Soon Marilyn was backing up into the parking space near me.
 
 
 
I put the bike on, she grabbed my stuff & put it in the back. By now I was shivering. Marilyn being the true rescuer had 2 beach towels for me and a sweatshirt to change into. It was cold removing the wet jersey, but the sweatshirt was warm. And then I found the seat warmers.
 
 
 
I wasn't upset that I didn't make it all the way home. I know I could have and would have made it if necessary. I made it within the city limits, 10 of the miles in the pouring rain. Besides going out to eat w Marilyn was a lot more fun, even if I was sitting in Pei Wei with a beach towel wrapped around me!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment