20121002

Riding Fast

I've been frustrated that since the stroke, I can't seem to go as fast as I used to ride. Diane & I always averaged 14.6 or higher. I know some of the reasons: I'm doing more urban riding (stop signs & lights & trails slow you down) and the cross bike weighs a ton & has wider tires. So, I brought the road bike to work on a Weds & decided to test my legs on 360. By the time I hit the 360 Bridge, technically known as the PennyBacker Bridge, I averaged 17+ mph! Now to go back UPHILL!

On the way back, I never had to shift into the granny ring up front...and I maintained a 10 mph on the first 2 hills. I did take a break at the Rob Roy entrance, then it was time to conquer the Bee Caves Hill. KimSTRONG! No granny gear, no standing all the way up!!!

By the time I was up the Bee Caves hill, my average was below 15, but I had 1.5 miles to crank it up. Big ring time! Sadly, I was passed, by another girl, so that's ok, it must have been woman's day on 360, I was passed twice by females. Final average15.2 mph

 *****************************************************
Total miles for this ride: 12.44
Total miles for the month of September: 273.58
Total miles for 2012: 2052.92
Miles to go:  -40.92  miles til 2012!!
One way commutes in September so far: 4
Total one way commutes: 62 (I've reached my goal)
Odometer
Road: 13022
Cross:

*****************************************************

The next week I had to conquer Bee Caves another hilly highway ride. Feeling the pressure to hit 16 since KPT hit 18.4 & she had rolling wood before that, but she also had Rollingwood downhill. When I hit the turn around, I was at 17. The last time I road Bee Caves was in 2009 and I hit 14.6, so I felt 16 was obtainable.
Flew down the big hill at 34, then stayed in the big ring until I had to stop at a light, but soon shifted back into the big ring until I turned around.

Once again it was tougher going back. I took a break before going up the big hill and once again made it up it without the help of the granny gear. How did I know that when i bought the bike at age 40, that I would need the granny gear to help me recover from the stroke. I've def stronger now than I was then, just need to ride on the right roads to average higher.

Once at the top of the big hill, I was slightly below 16, but knew I could pull it back up. Bee Caves felt great! 18 miles and fast!! Averaged 16.6 mph!

 *****************************************************
Total miles for this ride: 19.16
Total miles for the month of September: 313.64
Total miles for 2012: 2092.98
Miles to go:  -80.98  miles til 2012!!
One way commutes in September so far: 6
Total one way commutes: 64 (I've reached my goal)
Odometer
Road: 13031 cool palindrome
Cross:

*****************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment