20111229

Goal Achieved: 2011 in 2011


In 2010 I set the goal to ride 1500 miles, I fell short & only rode 13xx miles, so in 2011 my goal was to again ride 1500 miles, I busted that goal the last week of September, so i upped the ante to 2011 in 2011, knowing the next weekend I'd do 100 miles, so I'd only have 400 miles to go in 3 months, no prob, I'd continue commuting & doing longer weekend rides.

Then the time change. I think I managed 1 commute after that. I hate the time change...the sun sets way too early for this night owl & rises even earlier. I made a lame attempt to readjust my body, well, it didn't work.
But I was determined to still do it. Esp since after Gruene I had under 150 miles to go and 2 months to do it.
So I hopped on the bike when I could, 10 mile loops on the recovery route when I snuck out of work early, Weds night night rides w/ KPT & Victor when it was close to freezing--32.4 to said Victor's watch. Saturday rides on my own....

And eventually I was down to 15 miles to go.

The last ride wasn't epic like so many of the training rides had been (3 abreast, Lockhart & Luling, Donkeys & Downpours and The Love Shack) But it had it's moments.

It started out with MPB agreeing to ride w/ me. We needed a destination, so I chose 'Big Top Candy Shop' to spend my $50 in gift certificates I had received.

We set off and MPB's mouth starts complaining about being cold, then we turn on Shoal Creek & she complains about the mini-hill (note to self, she's not ready for some of the more fun routes, yet).

Finally at Big Top. At mile 3.5 I accidently reset the trip, so I think we are close to 7 miles, should put me within a trip around the block to reach my goal. We lock the bikes, go inside & quickly blow $50. MPB even shares a choc shake!

Back on the bikes to head home in the last 35 mins of light...(I hate the sun setting so early!) MPB's mouth starts going about the cold. It was cold, I offer my full fingered gloves, but she declines.. lucky me! I try to avoid the hills, but it's impossible. We opt for Bull Creek vs. Shoal Creek..gradual vs steep. We get to the turn for my street & I'm 1 mile shy, so I make a loop and end up at my house at 2011.1!

Not the most exciting ride, but it had its purpose. In 2 days I'll start working on the 2012 goal of 2012+

************************************************************
Miles for this ride: 15.1
Miles for the week: about 15.1
Total miles for the month: for December --53
Total miles for 2011: 2011.1 not including mtn bike rides
Miles to go: ?-511 to hit 1500 -0.1 to 2011
Odometer: 11821

No comments:

Post a Comment