20130404

Where there's a will...

I so wanted to ride 2 complete commutes to work this week, but no..
First started out with the plan to ride both ways on Monday, or at least home then back on Tuesday. Well, that plan was derailed when I broke my $5 academy chain tool trying to put a new chain on the cross bike. I went to my bike mechanic Mr. Chang(e) and he informed me of the powerlink which is a link you can put on your chain so that you don't have to use a tool to remove it.  So I decided to wait & went and bought a powerlink on Monday. In hindsight, I prob could have put the chain on & then added the powerlink on Tuesday, but better safe then sorry. I also should go buy 2 more as back ups in case I need one while on the road, guess I'll go back on Friday.
So now the bike is ready to go, new cassette & new chain. More teeth in the cassette so it should make the hills easier. I could not tell a difference today, maybe next week, it better be better next week, cuz when I took the bike off the car, I realized I rode the past 2 rides in the BIG RING up front!! No wonder it want easier today!
Tuesday I pack stuff up to ride home on Tuesday, I can still get in another Th/F turnaround for 2 this week.  Tuesday, I also started Dr. Oz's 3 day detox....yeah well, talk about starving & no energy, my detox plan  lasted until Tuesday night when I broke down & had breakfast for dinner! Guess I'll do a 10 day eating clean & prob get the same effect, I'll sub his drinks for meals & snacks, so far they are amazingly good. And of course the office manager bought a lot of 1/2 price Easter chocolate, I will resist!(or stockpile it).
So, Tuesday afternoon I go to get my hair cut, on my way back to work, I get stuck in MoPac traffic,  I  decided after several (20) minutes (why it took so long I'll never know) to text Jes & go home, he was completely cool w it & traffic was horrible. And by the time I got home it was raining, lots, I mean lots!
Thus, no ride on Tuesday.
Weds I took the bike & all my stuff I had packed to ride home on Monday & Tuesday...shorts, short sleeve jersey, shoes, socks, helmet, etc. And then it started to rain, so I ran down to the car & put the bike in the back of it, didn't get too wet, thankfully, but it was cold! I'm watching the weather all day, 58 degrees, but no rain, then Marilyn calls to tell me how cold it was & that riding home probably wasn't a good idea. So I'm thinking, I would play soccer in the 50's in shorts, I should be able to ride my bike. I'll at least change, then go outside & see, but then I realized, that only my legs would be freezing, how can I cover them up? Then I looked down & had an "ah-ha" moment...silly Kim, you can just ride home in your jeans! Better yet you can put your bike shorts on under your jeans so you don't have to deal with that huge seam that is like a knot right at your privates. Luckily I had on my baggy jeans & I had somehow lost 3 pounds w the Dr. Oz drinks for 2/3 of a day, so the shorts under the jeans weren't a problem.
I was warm & I was on my bike!!! Finally! But I did realize when I stopped to take a pic of the flowers that it was differently getting back on my bike, not sure exactly how, but it was different, maybe stiff?

I decided to take the Johnson Creek trail to see if after all this rain 2.5-3" if there was water in the creek. And there was! The first time in 4 years I finally saw running water in the creek. And of course the next morning it was empty. :-(

By the time I was about 2 miles from home,I was beginning to feel like the Princess in the "Princess & the Pea." Maybe I just have a sensitive woo ha, but I was starting to feel that huge seam (knot) thru the pad in my shorts. I really don't see how people ride in jeans, or other shorts, khaki's, maybe, but anything with that huge seam just hurts. Maybe I sit wrong? I've been trying to sit on my butt bones more, but that made the huge seam worse yesterday.  Seriously, how do the hipsters do it?


*************************************************************
Miles for this ride:8.2 hm 8.44 to work
Total miles for the month ofApril: 16.64
Total miles for 2013: 443.39
Miles  til 2013:  1556.61  (got a long way to go, but it's getting smaller)
One way commutes in April so far: 2
Total one way commutes in 2013:20
Odometer
Road: 13327 
Cross: 1740
Trip2:
Road: 148.07
Cross: 256

No comments:

Post a Comment