20120801

Biking St. Louis

On my first trip to Missouri in 2012, I went with my mother to go see my cousin & her daughter play the National Anthem on their violins for a Cardinals/Cubs game. Violin playing was great and we had fun at the game.
But what really stood out was the bike ride I took before the game.
We stayed about 1.5 miles from the arch, so I rode from the hotel to he arch, turns out I was  on a bike route.
As I rode down Chouteau street in St. Louis, I rode by the St. Louis Housing Authority. Then I turned to go down Market street (I had already driven Chouteau several times). Near market street there was this cool building (turns out it is the St.Louis city hall..thanks google maps) and a van that had a warning on the back "Keep back 50 ft, prisoners on board."
Once I made it to the arch I decided to ride laps around it. Coincidently it was the last stage of Le Tour where the riders ride laps around Parius and under the Arc de Triomphe, so it was only appropriate. It looks like they ecourage cycling around the arch.


 Then I meandered my way to the cobblestones we found the night before. Those were not fun to ride on & I was on the cross bike, can't imagine being on a road bike.


On my way back to the hotel I stopped to take a picture
and was passed by 7 cyclists. Of course I had to see if I could catch up to them. As I was getting closer, two riders dropped off the pack. A man sitting at a bus stop bench stood up to 'Cheer' them on. As I passed he, cheered for me, too. Think he said something like, " You can catch them! I've got your back!" It made my day.  And at the next light I did catch them. Had a nice conversation with one of the guys, but was never able to break into it tell him his helmet fit wrong.

Love the Bike St. Louis Signs, need to show those to someone in ACA or the city.

*****************************************************
Miles for this ride: 8.7
Total miles for the month of July so far: 197.51
Total miles for 2012: 1403.34
Miles to go:608.66 miles til 2012
Odometer: Creoss: 533.70

No comments:

Post a Comment