20120815

Dripping to Johnson

I was so excited for the Mamma Jamma training ride on Saturday, it started in Dripping Springs and went to Johnson City. Last time I rode in Dripping it was a bunch of fun rolling hills and beautiful Texas Hill Country. I knew this ride would be similar and it didn't disappoint.

Wheels down at 7:30, the 50 mile rout was announced and Larry said, "If you have not riden 40 miles or more in the last month or so I strongly encourage you to NOT do the 50 mile option." I just laughed as I went moved to the front to be one of the ride leaders, because so far my longest ride this summer has been 35 and that was last weekend, prior to that I've only gone over 40 once this year back in March. :-)

It was kinda chilly for a summer morning, but it quickly heated up. The first 8 miles were along a creek, lots of trees, ranch land & houses, even a few barns. Then we had to ride on US 290, only the 3rd time I've been on 290 west on a bike & it isn't much fun, but the cars were respectful and 3/4 of a mile later we were off & hitting the hills on the way to Pedernales State Park.

Love bike shadows.

One of the thing I noticed was once you reached the top of a hill, you actually had a view and you could see for a few miles.



Made it to the intersection where one turns to go to Pedernales Falls, took a quick break to refill the water bottles thanks to SAG support provided by one of the beneficiaries of the Mamma Jamma Ride.

From there only 6 more miles into Johnson City. Once I crossed over Miller Creek which 290 & 281 cross over before Johnson City, I knew I had to be close, plus I could see a water tower. Amazingly Kristen & Victor were still in Johnson City, they were talking to a ldy who coordinates the tri they are doing in September, so Leslie & I took off to get a head start. It took them until the Pedernales Falls intersection to catch us.

On the way back we saw that we were gaining on riders in front of us & it reminded me of the blog Chaising Mailboxes where the lady thought she was gaining on a rider and it turned out to be a mailbox! Love it!

It's hard to see the mailboxes (riders) up ahead, but they are there.

Leslie making it up the big hill!

By now it was hot and we were back to 290, we only got honked at once, I can never tell if the long honk is friendly or angry.

Finishing up along the creek.

*****************************************************

Total miles for this ride: 50.65 (longest of the year so far)
Total miles for the month of August:
Total miles for 2012: 1583.52
Miles to go: 428.48   miles til 2012
One way commutes in August so far: 2
Total one way commutes: 52 (I've reached my goal)
Odometer
Road: 12808
Cross: 592

No comments:

Post a Comment