20130521

72 + hours Car Free

Thursday night when I parked the car in the driveway, I wasn't 100% sure if I could go all weekend car free, but I did, and here's how it went.

Friday was bike to work day, so that made that day simple, but made it complex cuz I had to stop at 3 diff bike to work stations for a cold beer.

First stop Bicycle Sports Shop on S. Lamar
 Then on the LAB to get to Mellow Johnny's for another brew.
Rolling down LAB looking at downtown!

Made it to Mellows.

Grabbed the last beer & drank it for my friend Grenita.
Gra
Managed to kinda photo bom Fit City's pic.
Highlight had to be the man from New Zealand who walked 2 miles in the heat to see Mellow Johnny's. I should have talked to him some more.

Inside Mellows there was a poster that reminded me why I ride.

No up Rio Grande to Ozone's Party.

Great party, but the kegs were floating. :-(

I enjoyed the beer stops on the way home, but stopped at a convenience store to grab one for after I finished mowing the lawn. And yes I did shower and it felt great.

Saturday, I was assigned to work at the Austin Nature Center for 2 shifts 10-4, after that I had 2 somewhat downtown parties to attend. Thus it worked out well for riding, even though I'm going to miss my 12 miles of IRS volunteer deduction miles, the challenge was worth it.

Getting to ANC was no problem considering I ride by it on my commutes to work. At 3:20, I left for Gourdoughs on S. Lamar, I had never ridden




my bike on S. Lamar before, so I was up for the challenge. Only problem was it was uphill and against the wind! I arrived safely at Gourdoughs, and I was shocked that 2/3 of my travel up Lamar was in a bike lane, the other third I safely took the lane and had fun doing it!

Once at Gourdoughs, I met lots of new bike peoples and said goodbye to some special ones. What donut did I eat, you ask? Well, I had the Flying Pig and it was delicious!

A maple syrup icing covered donut with bacon!

Now it was time to fly down Lamar (going down Lamar was a lot more exhilarating than going up it! I think at one point I was keeping up with traffic.) and go to Bangers to meet up w some PYHOOYA folks.  Yuki & her girlfriend Justine were in town. Was great to drink beers w/ them and catch up.

I did get a ride home from Marilyn, kudos to her for bringing the bike rack
MB, Kim & Yuki

Sunday was Viva Streets on 6th street, a downtown street party with a focus on Bikes. I rode down and met up w/ Grenita, Angela & Dexter.

First up was to ride the bicycle merry go round. the latest creation from Austin Bike Zoo.
Wee! It doesn't get any better than this!



We formed a parade with the Minor Mishap Marching band.
Sat in the shade and listened to music while sipping a cold one.

A silk screening set up on a bike.

Finished of Sunday by shopping at Whole Foods and HEB, then cooked dinner & tutored, slept hard.
But what a fun 72 hours.


****************************************************************************
Miles for these rides: 10.66, 12.03 & 16.84
Total miles for the month of May:225.33
Total miles for 2013: 915.91
Miles til 2013:  1171.11  (got a long way to go, but it's getting smaller)
One way commutes in May so far: 10
Total one way commutes in 2013: 42 so close to 50!
Odometer:
Road: 13550
Cross: 2027
Trip2:
Road: 370.74
Cross: 533.94

No comments:

Post a Comment