20130517

bike2work day 2013 getting there

Bike to work day has become a pretty big deal in ATX, there is even a website with a map of the stations. www.biketoworkaustin.org

In the past I have either missed it (didn't know about it) or only biked 1 way & didn't bother to go to the stations. But this year I was determined to make it both ways, even after riding one way for the past 4 days of work. So by this afternoon, I will have commuted 60% of my work trips. Maybe I'll win something  from My Commute Solutions, maybe not, but it doesn't matter cuz the reward has been totally intrinsic and a little monetary, especially today when I was fed along the way.
It really has been amazing how much more energized I feel, and I've been excited to get up in the morning. I still drag my feet, but riding in to work gets me moving, or maybe its the thought of the MiV eclair?

My normal commute with the stop at MiV. 10.36 miles

Bike 2 work route--12.63 miles.


So this morning, as I turned onto Bull Creek I noticed a car with a New Jersey plate on it. I decided that it's been a while since I started a new license plate game, maybe I'll start one today, if not the June 1. Well, within 2 blocks I saw a Mississippi & Louisiana, thus game on. Now to remember them!

At the third light, a guy pulled up next to me. I  asked if he was biking to work , he said, " Now I am, I usually work at home on Fridays, so I got up, went for a little ride, turned around and NOW I'm biking to work"

Took the Shoal Creek hike & bike trail to Lamar & 29th
 Wee!!!

Finally made it to my first stop: Freewheeling. Ate a breakfast taco, mini muffin & drank some OJ.

Grabbed a bike to work messenger bag & trek water bottle.
 Then cruised thru campus & saw this...someone had a good night.

 Down the Rio Grande cycle track.


Say Cheese!

 Down Congress
 Stopped at the Movability Austin booth, ate a brownie.
 Then to the City Hall booth for some juice & a cliff bar.
 Now off to work with others after my eating buffet

My commuting & grocery trips so far this month.

On the way I saw the following plates: New Jersey, Mississippi, Louisiana, Illinois, South Carolina, Arkansas, Massachusetts, Colorado, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, North Carolina & Alabama.

****************************************************************************
Miles for this ride: 12.57
Total miles for the month of May: 185.8
Total miles for 2013: 876.38
Miles til 2013:  1171.11  (got a long way to go, but it's getting smaller)
One way commutes in May so far:9
Total one way commutes in 2013: 41 so close to 50!
Odometer:
Road: 13550
Cross: 1987.4 (almost to 2k!)
Trip2:
Road: 370.74
Cross: 494.4





No comments:

Post a Comment