20130515

Bike Everyday in May 2013: Week 2 update

Week 2 of Bike Month so far has included more miles than week 1, which wasn't hard to do considering I barely rode for 2 days in week 1.

May 8: Weds I rode home. Nothing exciting happened which I guess is good depending on your version of exciting. I did stop by the library to get a book. Stopped to take pics of the Mexican hats.
11.10 miles

Nice Phallic Phlower 
May 9: Rode back in on Thursday. I did get annoyed with a 'fellow' cyclist in a white with orange & blue kit who flew thru a stop sign on Jefferson. Think I yelled, "hello that was a stop sign." Hate how the 20% makes the remaining 80% look bad.
8.42 miles

May 10: On Friday, I ran an errand to Office Depot/Max or whatever it is during lunch.  Luckily I had a pair of shorts in the office, otherwise it would have been a hot trip! Took 11 mins to go 1.75 miles uphill and only 6.5 mins to come back, all downhill.
3.46 miles


No bike rack at Office Depot/Max, so I improvised.

May 11:  Saturday I signed up  to ride in ACA's Armadillo Ride. Kellie carpooled with me for the drive to South Dallas (aka Liberty Hill). It rained heavily Thursday, thus the parking lot (field next to the football stadium) was thick with mud. Walking back after picking up my packet, several people where trying different ways not to get their bike shoes muddy--leaving old  shoes in the parking lot, walking the long way and the most creative, possibly OCD was wearing gallon ziplock bags. By the time we were ready to ride Kellie was wishing she had thought of the ziplock bags. At first she couldn't clip in, so we sat for a minute while scraping mud off the cleats, I felt like I was shoeing a horse as she sat on the curb and I held her foot in the air & scraped. Then at each rest stop she had issues clipping back in.  I'd hear, "Damn it, dang it, darn, darn, ugh, *&($#@, dang it, Yay, I got one!" This went on for at least a mile after our first stop. I think we finally got them clean enough, so she could clip in!

getting the last of the mud off!
After the rest stop, in true Kellie & Kim fashion we missed the first turn (even ignored others yelling at us!) but we got to visit a thrift store and see the Bertram dinosaur.


Me at the Bertram dinosaur


a horrible closeup of the caterpillar

another horrible shot of the head of the dinosaur (I think I'm moving the camera too soon!)



By the end of the ride, we had meet several riders, invited 1 to ABCx, saw a rider down and an ambulance attending to the rider.  As Kellie said . " The Armadillo Hill Country ride was just what I needed! Perfect amount of hills to the 42 miles." Maybe a must do again this summer.
42.54 miles



May 11: Sunday, I  decided to go to Whole Foods and grocery shop.

Lots of bikes at WF

Kids "making" mother's day cards
Forgot a water bottle, so a cup of ice helped me get home.


I'm obsessed with getting stupid Humana Vitality points & was pissed when the Humana Fit app didn't resume when I asked it to. Thus I rode to HEB, too.
First time to carry a pineapple on the bike & it survived!
 I didn't 'pause' the app. Well, it turns out it's not about exercising for 30 mins, it's the calories,--you gotta burn 200, so I still got credit for the WF ride. But since you can only get points for 1 workout a day, HEB didn't matter. Then when I submitted my form for doing the Armadillo, I lied and said it was 61 miles thinking that would bump me up to 500 points, I should know to never lie, cuz I only got 350 points because you have to ride 62 miles to get the 500, fine details aren't my strong point lately, plus I did lie...and got caught in a funny way!
9.32 & 3.33 miles

May 13: Monday rode home from work. I really enjoy riding home from work, it's the 'to work' that I don't like.  Took Exposition home to change things up a bit. I finally found the flowers that are creating such a wonderful aroma in Austin that they make my nose run. According to Jeff they are "Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum Jasminoides)" 
Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum Jasminoides)
 
My Bike t-shirt for Monday (FreeWheeling--where I bought my road bike, sadly it is closing)
8.37 miles

May 14: Tuesday rode back in, going to MiV helps, but not much. Love the new art that is for sale at MiV.
Prices run from $120 and up




Tuesday's bike shirt Armadillo Hill Country Classic


 ABC rode again on Tuesday. I'll admit it was tough doing 2 rides in one day, I slept hard that night. ABCx was fun as usual. Couple of newbies who will fit in well. The evening ended with a few coming over to play pinball & drink beer. Perfect night: Bike, beer & buddies!
 9.96 miles & 12.51 miles

*****************************************************************************


Miles for these rides: see above
Miles for the week:  109.01
Total miles for the month of May: 151.31
Total miles for 2013: 841.89
Miles til 2013:  1171.11  (got a long way to go, but it's getting smaller)
One way commutes in May so far: 6
Total one way commutes in 2013: 38 so close to 50!
Odometer:
Road: 13550
Cross: 1952.9 (almost to 2k!)
Trip2:
Road: 370.74
Cross: 459.92

No comments:

Post a Comment