20130104

first ride of 2013

Another cold to me day in Austin, not much sun and high to be around 51. But since it's New Years Day, outdoor activities must take place.

Kristen wanted to do an urban adventure on the cross bikes, then I received notice that Barton Springs was going to be open for the Polar Bear Splash, Kristen was all in for the Polar Bear Splash, I had to be talked into it a bit.

At 1 we met and drove both cars to BS. Loaded my car with our towels and more warm clothes.  I left my car there cuz its easier to put the bikes on my car (thinking we would be wet when loading the bikes...hello, we loaded the bikes as soon as we got to BS, not after we plunged)

Back to my house, got dressed to ride in the cold and off we went.

Decided to take the Shoal Creek Hike & Bike all the way to Town Lake. The fun but can be frustrating part of the SC trail is I'm not skilled enough to ride across some sections, so I have to get off my bike. But it does create picture opportunities.






Once we reached Town Lake, just past the old power plant is the meeting place. Coincidentally a bunch of people were meeting around a band. What pure Austin fun to bike upon a band and people gathering!



So of course we stayed to watch. It really was pure joy to watch everyone smiling & dancing.




Then the band stepped off the meeting place table and marched towards the new bridge to safely access the hike & bike trail.






And of course people followed, it was kinda like the Pied Piper.



And then we followed.
And watched as the band made its way down the ramp.







Lots of people watched & followed.

So off to Barton Springs we went, we thought it would be funny if the band was leading everyone into Barton Springs.


Now here is the pre plunge video that cracks me up.


















Into the water we go:




(One day I'll learn how to edit videos.)

I posted a pic of the band on facebook hoping I would find out who the band was, for some reason I knew  Grenita would know & of course she did.

BTW, the band is The Minor Mishap Marching Band. Looking forward to how I can incorporate Honk! TX into a busy weekend...

**************************************************************
Total miles for the month of January:  7.01
Total miles for 2013:7.01
Miles  til 2013: 2006 (got a long way to go
One way commutes in January: 0
Total one way commutes:0
Odometer
Road: 13179
Cross: 1488.7
Trip2:
Road: 000
Cross: 7.01

No comments:

Post a Comment