20130125

My Cousins Place Down South

The weather has been so amazing lately! Mid 70's for the high and sunny. Been trying to take advantage of it and spin my wheels when I have time.

Sunday was the first unofficial ABCx ride of 2013. Five of us met at Kellie's house and we rode to Buda and back. Once out of Kellie's neighborhood we were on Dittmar Rode and went past the Dittmar Recreation Center. I thought to myself, I bet I'm related to these people, I'll have to check w/ Aunt C when I get back before I open my mouth and say something about my cousins. Once home I looked up the full name of the rec center,  A. B. Dittmar or Adolph Barnhart Dittmar. I messaged Aunt C and she confirmed that yes, I am related to Adolph Barnhart Dittmar.
I checked the Dittmar Family cookbook (of all places) and immediately found an Adolph Barnhart (A.B.) Dittmar, son of William Martin and Wally Beck Dittmar. William & Wally married in 1901 and AB was apparently their first child.
A.B. as a child

 Turns out they owned a dairy in S. Austin, the land was bought by the city and the AB Dittmar Recreation Center was opened in 1988. Now it comes back to me that the rec center was where I went to a family reunion with Grandma & Grandpa in the late 80's, I bet it was the year it opened. Too bad I don't have any pics.

So, how am I related? I know the lineage thanks to Aunt C, but I think I'll just use the word 'cousin.'

John Martin Dittmar (your great-great grandfather) was brother to George John Dittmar.
JMD > John J > Bertha > Fred > Kim
GJD > William Martin > Adolph Barnhardt
So that would make the two of you roughly third cousins once removed or something like that.
 The guy who runs the "The Descendants of Martin Johann & Elisabetha Catherina (Oschmann) DITTMAR" group on FB wrote me this
Kim>>>Frederick Harold Meyer>>>Bertha Meta Dittmar>>>Johan Jakob Ludwig Dittmar>>>Johann Martin Dittmar>>>Martin & Elisabetha DITTMAR
 After looking thru the powerpoint pics on the site, I'm still confused, I need a flow chart or several. But either way, A. B. Dittmar was my cousin. Looking thru that group there is a treasure chest of info.

I found this pic of a house my grandmother lived in. She's in the wagon to the right of the 2 kids.

As for the ride, it was nice to stretch out the legs & mingle with other ABCxers.

I did commute home on Thursday & back in on Friday. Very slow, too many squats at boot camp this week? Or was it the Cowboy Cooks? Either way the temperature was perfect!

**************************************************************
Miles for this ride:  22.05
Total miles for the month of January:  107.19  (behind 2012 by  10 miles, so not too bad)
Total miles for 2013: 107.19
Miles  til 2013:  1905.81 (got a long way to go)
One way commutes in January:4
Total one way commutes:4
Odometer
Road: 13244
Cross: 1524.1
Trip2:
Road:  64.9
Cross: 42.44

No comments:

Post a Comment