20130107

Ride to Georgetown

I forgot to blog about one of my 'better' rides for December. My Aunt & Uncle were having a family Christmas gathering at their house near Lake Georgetown. I had used their house as a starting point for a ride before, but they weren't there when I did that. This was the perfect opportunity for me to ride out there (cuz I could get a ride back, I'm not lazy, just smart!)

I drove to Llama's house, left my car there & then took Parmer all the way to the FM road that leads to Lake Georgetown.

I was keeping a great pace (gotta love it when the wind is at your back). But I had to stop to investigate the lone decorated tree. There are many rogue Christmas trees on Loop 360, and I've rarely seen them elsewhere until now, so per Kim's curiosity, I had to stop, plus the decorations looked like discarded water bottles from bikes, so I was wondering if this was an up-cycle project.


there were even solar powered lights to light it up at night

a closer look revealed duct tape covered water bottles

and other duct taped ornaments. very creative

As I rode on, I was shocked to see I was at mile 15 within an hour. Using commuting time, I thought it would take me 2.5 hours easily to get there, looks like it would be less.

That gave me time to look at the San Gabriel river (the one that feeds Lake Georgetown). It was nice to see water in it and more than just a trickle.

 You always know you are in the country in Texas  when you hear gunshots, I couldn't decide if they were shooting deer, ducks or tin cans, just hoped it wasn't a high powered rifle and they had cyclists in mind.

Once on the road to the lake, I remembered the big hill I had to go up. It had been a while since I had ridden this far, felt great to stretch the legs, now to stretch the lungs. It always amazes me how much easier it is to climb hills on the road bike vs the cross bike (I have different gearing & it is a much lighter bike). Before I got to the hill I was finally passed by Llama! Heard later on that she, too was shocked at how far along I was when she finally passed me.

Up the big hill (only 2060ft gain over 1.4 miles, not even categorizable) then 2 more miles to cold beer,  sausage and best of all, family.

Upon arrival, my uncle took my pic, then my aunt asked if he even said "hi" or anything, he hadn't but it didn't bother me, I think its cute that he wanted my pic, so I posed.

Had a blast talking to everyone. This side of the family is so musically talented. My uncle's ex wife was their w/ her accordian & her husband on the drums & guitar, then various cousins and cousin's kids would join in on numerous instruments (guitars, base guitars, clarinet, cello, tambourine and even a washboard. ) You couldn't help but smile while watching them, so talented. Can't wait for the wedding in May!

No comments:

Post a Comment